Thursday 19 February 2015

Entrepreneurship is Ownership

Entrepreneurship is Ownership


I was standing on the curb side looking at a commercial location with a client. Well, this was the kind of store front location that would be needed, I speculated to both of us. Without question.
The client turned to me and said, "You make the location decision. And whatever happens if it is successful or if it fails, it's on you."

I started my consultancy career enthusiastically with the world at my fingertips. Well, maybe not the world, but at least my laptop and access to a business library and a network of resources.

Within two years, with each plan I was writing for clients, my enthusiasm was wearing very thin - resentment simmered underneath my assurances whenever I handed a well researched plan to the client.
As the final payment was handed over, I was typically asked, "Is the plan any good?"

The last business plan I ever wrote in full for a client, I was again asked that dreaded question for the umpteenth time. I resisted the urge to yank the business plan off the other side of the table where it was being flipped through with dubious looks and careless fingertips.
"Take it to the lender. You'll see it will be approved," I assured that client. The bank did say it was well written plan and they did approve the funding.
To me, it was the final fail on my part as a consultant.

I realized I was failing my clients and owned that. I wouldn't write another complete business plan for someone else again. Yes, each business plan was thorough, well researched, laboriously worked through. Stamped with approval by lenders after a few quick questions or clarifications but clients still could not tell the difference between a sound plan and a quick template rip-off.
Every time I handed one of those business plans over, it was like giving up a surrogate brain child of mine into the hands of someone else who may or may not be able to nurture and grow that plan into the opportunity it was mean to be.
My father always told me that "If you want a job done properly, do it yourself." I grew up and mistranslated that as "If you want a job done properly, have someone like me do it for you."
I was rendering clients helpless by researching and writing their plans for them. The first helpless question, is this plan any good? The next question followed about a week or so after the lender's approval. Are you sure this plan is going to work? And that question was always asked with concerned eyes, a quivering lack of confidence and a second guess as to whether to start or not.

I would sympathetically nod, "It is a good plan but I am not sure if you are ready to be a business owner."
And inside, I would feel like I cheated us both. I realized that writing business plans for clients, I had taken the most important and critical aspect of entrepreneurship for myself. Ownership.

I really didn't want to own anyone's dreams. I didn't want to own their businesses either. Somewhere between the exchange of money and a business plan - the most critical aspect of ownership had been lost.
Ownership is being willing to take on the decision making process, analyze the risks and understanding if those risks are worth the costs. Ownership is about finding solutions to problems, humbly seeking out expertise, and listening to honest advisement. Learning from the wisdom of other's experience.
Ownership is about the balance between having the confidence and determination to ask the right questions while having the humbleness to listen to the answers.

Most importantly, ownership for an entrepreneur is understanding that there are both successes and mistakes that will be made in business. It is the ownership of both that will create fulfillment and growth. That's how an entrepreneur owns true success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Future of Remote Work, According to Startups

  The Future of Remote Work, According to Startups No matter where in the world you log in from—Silicon Valley, London, and beyond—COVID-19 ...