Tuesday 4 March 2014

Java - Cherish your exceptions.

A mother was preparing the pot-roast for Sunday’s big family dinner. Before searing it and placing it in the pan, she carefully sliced the ends off. Her three year-old daughter asked “Mommy, why do you cut the ends off the roast?”

She answered, “My mom taught me to do it that way, and it’s delicious, so it must be a good idea. Maybe the juices from the meat mix with the vegetables?”

Everyone sits down for dinner, and when Father is serving the roast, the daughter remembers her question. She turns to Grandma and asks, “Grandma, why did you teach Mommy to cut the ends off the roast?”

Grandma thinks for a moment and says, “What a delightful question! I always used to cut the ends off the roast, it’s how my mother taught me. I don’t know why she did that, there must have been a good reason.” Grandma sits for a moment, remembering her mother. “Well,” she continues, ” there must have been a good reason. Now eat your dinner before it gets cold!”

The holidays roll around, and they’re having dinner at Grandma and Grandpa’s house. “Hey!” Grandma says to the little girl, “You know what, I was going through your great-grandmother’s things, and I found the old roast pan. We sure made some good pot roast in it. Let’s make pot roast with it tonight in her honor!”

They get out the pan and wash it up. It’s old, and well-seasoned. Grandma looks it over. “It’s smaller than I remember. I was a little girl, and everything looks bigger when you’re small!”

They put the roast on the counter before searing it. Just then, Grandpa walks by. “Do you want me to cut the ends off the roast?” he asks. “It’s the only way you’ll get it to fit in that small pan.

Grandma and the little girl look at each other. And they smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Future of Remote Work, According to Startups

  The Future of Remote Work, According to Startups No matter where in the world you log in from—Silicon Valley, London, and beyond—COVID-19 ...